A traditional bakewell is a bit of a favourite in our house although its usually the kind topped with icing and made by Mr Kipling.
This in all honesty was far nicer… seriously. It was a much nicer treat for a Sunday and well deserved after our long walk!
The tart was a huge hit and everyone has given it the big thumbs up.
Remember even foods made using ingredients you’ve heard of claiming to be “healthy” add up in calories. So even though this is a raw cake made using whole foods it is still a dessert best enjoyed as an occasional treat. I have included the calories below.
The base is made using nuts and dates. Dates are amazing as an alternative to sugar and syrups as they turn into an almost caramel like consistency when blended. Combined with the nuts makes a lovely base and alternative to a pastry.
Marzipan is one of my favourite things and after making it for this recipe I may never buy a shop one again. It was so easy. Maybe a little softer and definitely wouldn’t be able to roll it out to cover a cake but I am now on a search to find a recipe that could be.
To make this cherry bakewell follow the simple instructions below.
Makes 8 servings (1 slice is 323kcals, 22g fat, 23g Carbohydrate and 8g protein)
- For the base
140g soft dates
150g whole almonds
2 tbsp coconut oil
Pinch of salt
- For the Frangipane
100g ground almonds
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp almond extract
Pinch of salt
- Cherry layer
1/2 jar of Homemade Morello cherry chia Jam
- Make your Homemade Morello cherry chia Jam.
- To make the base – place the dates, almonds, coconut oil and salt in your food processor and blend until you have a dough like mixture.
- Press the base into an 8″ tin. Leave to set in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the frangipane layer – Add the ground almonds, pinch of salt, maple syrup and almond extract into a bowl or mixer and mix until it all comes together.
- Take your base out of the freezer. Smooth over the marzipan mixture with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Top with the cherry jam. You can add as much or as little of the jam as you like.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and put in the freezer to set for 2hrs
- Store in fridge.
And enjoy x