Who doesn’t love a pancake? and what better than an easter bunny pancake? I came across the idea on abbies_healthyhabits instagram page. What better way to enjoy a healthy easter treat and let the kids have a little bit of fun with it…
They had so much fun making their rabbits faces and choosing fruits to enjoy with them.
But I think its fair to say they enjoyed eating them even more…
To make your very own easter bunny pancakes follow this simple recipe for American pancakes and then cut up a selection of fruit for them to choose from and for a little treat add a little maple syrup or some choc shot sugar free chocolate syrup.
Makes 4 bunnies
Ready in about 15 minutes
- Juice of half a lemon
- 225mls whole milk
- 1 egg
- 175g wholewheat spelt flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Butter or coconut oil for cooking in
- Selection of fruit
- Maple syrup
- Turn your oven on low to keep pancakes warm whilst cooking in batches
- Add the lemon juice to the milk and leave to thicken for 5 minutes. This has now become buttermilk!
- Beat in the egg into the milk mixture
- Put the flour into a large bowl and whisk in the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the flour and slowly pour in the milk mixture whilst whisking… TIP I find whisking from the centre of the bowl and gradually mixing in the dry flour stops the lumps.
- Melt the butter or coconut oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the batter to the pan into as bunny like shapes as you can. I used about 2 tablespoons for the body and 1 for the head and feet and half a spoon for the ears…
- Cook until the underside has started to brown and then flip the pancakes to cook the other side.
- Keep cooked pancakes in the oven and continue to cook until you have all 4 bunnies… we even had a couple spare.
Let the kids go wild and decorate their bunnies before enjoying them!