Who doesn’t love a good old spag bol? Its been a popular meal in our house since the girls were small. I have to say I haven’t always been as much of a fan… until I discovered the real difference in using lean mince. It was a game changer.
If you follow my YouTube video on how to make this quick and easy Spaghetti Bolognese. The best way I know how…no jars of dolmio needed.
It is a regular meal in our house. Partly because its so quick to make but also because its a real favourite with us all… well it is if I leave the “bits” out. Vegetables to me and you…
My favourite recipe of course includes all the vegetables but if I have the time I know every last bite will be eaten if I blitz all the veggies down into a sauce.. or you can try making my 5 a day hidden veggie ragu.
We then spend dinner time guessing how many vegetables were in their dinner… you just have to be careful you do not end up giving them a huge plate full because lets face it when the veggies are in their chopped state they bulk a dinner out nicely.
Ready in 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g lean steak mince 5% fat
- 1 courgette
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper
- 200g mushrooms
- Dried oregano
- 500g Tomato Passata (I like Tesco’s garlic and basil one but if you can not get this add some fresh basil)
- Dried wholewheat spaghetti or spiralized vegetables
- Chop, slice and dice all your vegetables.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Fry your onions until they start to soften, add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add your mince and break into bits. Cook until meat has turned brown.
- Add your veg..
- Then your passata, oregano and seasoning.
- Add fresh basil if using.
- Simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes and cook your spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
- Serve and enjoy