My girls love chocolate spread but I am reluctant to let them eat it all the time like they would want.
I found this Deliciously Ella recipe online but I was reluctant to use maple syrup so I adapted it slightly. This recipe is a working progress as I’d like to omit all the maple syrup and replace with something else… like dates or something.
Here is how I made mine. Niamh informs me it tastes like peanut butter mixed with chocolate spread. If you like a less nutter taste maybe try less nuts and more cacoa.
- 200g hazelnuts
- 3tbsp cacoa powder
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- Lightly roast the nuts on a baking tray for 5 minutes in the oven at 150ºc
- Leave the nuts to cool and then place in a food processor.
- Blend the nuts until forms a running mixture. See my recipe on Easy Peasy homemade Nut butters.
- Add the cocoa and maple syrup to the mixer and mix until combined.
- Gradually add the water until it reaches a spreadable consistency. You may not need it all.
- Store in fridge once made.
I hope you enjoy it and I will keep you posted once I have found a no maple recipe that works. This is still a far lower sugar alternative to the traditional one.