This is a delicious pie to make with your left over chicken. Check out my Thrifty Thursday…making your meals go further where I give you ideas on how to make the pennies go further by turning your large roast chicken into 3 meals.
This pie is a huge hit in the Barker household and better still as it has very little pastry you can eat it guilt free. The perfect family meal that everyone can enjoy. Serve it with lots of delicious veg.
If you head over to my YouTube channel you can watch me make it in quick time. Its a popular meal in our house especially with the husband.
Ready in 50 minutes
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 500mls Chicken stock
- 4 rashers of smoked bacon diced
- Left over roast chicken or choice of chicken
- 50g wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 100mls whole milk
- 250g mushrooms sliced
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- Preheat the oven 180ºc
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion. Gently fry for a minute.
- Add the leeks and continue to fry.
- Add a little of the chicken stock to help steam the onion and leeks and cook until soft.
- Add the bacon and cook through.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season and add the flour to coat all the ingredients. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Gradually add the stock to the pan.
- Add the rosemary and milk.
- Add the mushrooms and bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add pie filling to a large pie dish and leave to cool slightly.
- Tear and scrunch the filo pastry into loose balls and cover the pie filling.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Cook the pie in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.